Information for Virginia
- About the Virginia Board of Workforce Development: Elevate, Career Pathways
- Career Pathways Resources at the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center
- Virginia Employment Commission, Scroll down the front page to find Labor Market Information
- PluggedInVA: Virginia’s Career Pathways Program
- Innovation & Opportunity Network: Resources. This resources section contains all content that has been posted to date for this community of practice. (This site might not work in Safari).
- IET in Adult Education and Training: Model Programs, PDF doc from CLASP
- IET (Integrated Education and Training, Career Pathways Institute, Texas Adult Education and Literacy
- Virginia Workforce Comprehensive & Satellite Centers: Statewide Listing, Elevate Virginia
- Virginia Workforce Centers: VEC Local Offices
- Virginia Workforce Partners, Elevate Virginia
- Workforce GPS: The Playlists, Disabilities Resources for WIOA Practitioners
- Virginia Workforce Network
- Workforce Investment Works, state workforce development board
- Virginia Job Corp Locations
- Labor Market Information, Virginia Employment Commission
- United States Department of Labor: Databases, Tables, and Calculators by Subject (Current Information)
- Middle Skills Jobs Fact Sheets, National Skills Coalition
- Bureau of Economic Analysis
- U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- Bureau of Labor Statistics: Monthly Unemployment Reports
- Business Data and Statistics
- Economics and Statistics Administration
Career Pathways and Transitions
- Cornerstones of Completion: State Policy Support for Accelerated, Structured Pathways to College Credentials and Transfer, December 2012, Jobs for the Future
- Scaling Stackable Credentials – CLASP: Implications for Implementation & Policy, March 2014
- Transition for Adults With Learning Disabilities in Adult Education, Learning Disabilities Association of America, 2013 Position Paper. A transition plan for a student with LD will parallel a transition plan for a student who does not have LD. The difference is the essential expansion of tasks needed for positive exploration and implementation, which increases the intensity of services and supports.
These national links lead to national U.S. information about labor and the economy.
- Job Hunt: State Employment Offices
- Jobs for the Future: Education for Economic Opportunity
- National Association of Workforce Boards
- O*Net Resource Center: Occupational Information
- United States Department of Labor
- Vocational Information Center: Skills for today’s workforce
- Workforce Development: VA DOE, Office of Adult Literacy
- WorkforceGPS: Workforce System Strategies, or Evidence-Based and Emerging Practices to Support Informed Decisions
Skills for Today’s Workforce
- 2015 Skills Gap Report: A Survey of the American Manufacturing Workforce
- Accenture Study Finds U.S. Workers Under Pressure to Improve Skills, But Need More Support From Employers, November, 2011
- America’s Forgotten Middle Skills Jobs, Urban Institute, Skills to Compete, 2007
- Bridging the Skills Gap: Help Wanted, Skills Lacking: Why the Mismatch in Today’s Economy? 2012, ASTD, American Society for Training & Development, Career Development Community, PDF
- Executives Say the 21st Century Requires More Skilled Workers, 2010, Partnership for 21st Century Skills
- Job Market Polarization and U.S. Worker Skills: A Tale of Two Middles, Harry Holzer, Economic Studies at Brookings, April 2015
- The Stubborn Skills Gap in America’s Workforce, New York Times, 2013
Articles and Reports
- America Has to Close the Workforce Skills Gap, Rob Kaplan, Bloomberg View, 2017
- America’s Perfect Storm: Three Forces Changing Our Nation’s Future, ETS, 2007
- Characteristics of Minimum Wage Earners, US Bureau of Labor Statisticus, March, 2014
- Low Wage Workers Are Older Than You Think, Economic Policy Institute, August 2013
- Low Wage Employment: this brief provides a national snapshot of the numbers and characteristics of low-wage workers—those making less than $10.10/hour—and their families, Weldon Cooper Center, 2014.
- Virginia’s Forgotten Middle, PDF doc, National Skills Coalition, 2015
- Virginia’s Workforce Development Programs, PDF report to the Governor and General Assembly, Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission (JLARC), 2014-15.
Click on image to return to VALRC.
This blog is made available by the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center (VALRC) for informational purposes only and to provide links to sites that lead to statistics and information about adult education and literacy. VALRC does not endorse or recommend any products, processes, or services mentioned in the linked websites and blog posts published on this site. The views and opinions authors expressed in the links on this blog do not necessarily state or reflect those of the VALRC or the Virginia Department of Education.