Information on this page relates to adult education and literacy in general, including websites, reports, and other facts pertinent to the topic.
Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA)
- WIOA, Employment and Training Administration, U.S. Department of Labor
- WIOA Overview, DOL
- WIOA Resources, National Association of Workforce Boards
- Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, National Skills Coalition
- WIOA State Plan For the Commonwealth of Virginia for 2016-2020 with modifications, draft PDF doc on Elevate Virginia
Basic Information and Standards for Adult Education in Virginia
- Adult Education in Virginia, VADOE, Office of Adult Education and Literacy
- Office of Career, Technical, and Adult Education (OCTAE), U.S. Department of Education.
- College and Career Readiness Standards for Adult Education, Susan Pimentel, 2013. Report released by OVAE which examines the Common Core State Standards from the perspective of adult education. It was funded to provide a set of manageable yet significant CCR standards that reflect broad agreement among subject matter experts in adult education about what is desirable for adult students to know to be prepared for the rigors of postsecondary education and training. (PDF document from OVAE)
- Handbook for Sustaining Standards-Based Education in Adult Education, Susan Pimentel, 2014. This handbook helps state leaders improve the odds of generating sustained organizational support for standards-based reforms. (PDF document from LINCS)
- Content Standards (ESOL), VALRC
- Resources for Standards Based Instruction (SBI), Kentucky Adult Education
- Standards Based Instruction, VALRC
- Standards Based Education, LINCS, List of resources
- Virginia Policies, Regulations, and Reporting, VALRC
Facts and Statistics
- The Program for the International Assessment of Adult Competencies (PIAAC) 2013, at the NCES website. The goal of PIAAC is to assess and compare the basic skills and the broad range of competencies of adults around the world. The assessment focuses on cognitive and workplace skills needed for successful participation in 21st-century society and the global economy.
- PIAAC 2012 Results Portal: The PIAAC Results Portal allows you to produce figures and tables that compare the performance of U.S. adults to adults in other participating countries.
- Literacy Fact Sheets, LINCS
- Adult Ed Fact Sheet – United States, World Ed
- Adult Literacy Crisis, 2013: ProLiteracy web page and infographic
- National Reporting System: NRS Fast Facts: present different statistics about adult education at the national level with state highlights, such as attendance rates and age groups.
- LINCS: Through the LINCS COMMUNITY OF PRACTICE, self-paced ONLINE COURSES, and searchable RESOURCES, adult education practitioners nationwide harness the power of collaboration and sharing to improve educational outcomes.
- Office of Adult and Vocational Education: OCTAE, Includes reports on state performances
- Virginia Community College System
- National Reporting System for Adult Education Programs: NRS
- Commission on Adult Basic Education: COABE, Educate and Elevate
- Virginia Literacy Foundation, VLF, funder for nonprofit adult literacy organizations in Virginia. Also provides a conference.
- Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education, VAACE, proactive, lobbying organization for adult education in Virginia. Also provides a conference.
- ProLiteracy America: Organization for community based literacy organizations; includes yearly reports on the State of Literacy
Recruitment and Retention
- Calling for Success: Online Retention Rates Get Boost From Personal Outreach, Education Sector, January 2013, from AIR.org
- Effective Motivational Strategies in Adult Basic Education Programs, PDF Doc, Rachel Gall, PAACE Journal of Lifelong Learning, Vol. 22, 2013
- Graduation, Completion Dropout, and Post Secondary Data, Latest updated information, VA Department of Education website
- Virginia’s School Quality, a snapshot, from Virginia.gov (most recent)
- The Graduation Effect: The Economic Impact of a High School Diploma, Alliance for Excellent Education
Reports and Articles
- Adult Literacy in America: A First Look at Results from the Adult Education Program and Learner Surveys, 2007
- Beyond the Rhetoric: The Gap Between Enrolling in College and Being Ready for College, 2010, SREB PDF document
- Literacy Practices Among Adult Education Participants, U.S. National Library of Medicine, March 2013
- The U.S. Illiteracy Rate Hasn’t Changed in 10 Years, Huffington Post.com, 9/6/2013
- Diplomas Count, 2016 results, Education Week
- Archived: 2003 National Assessment of Adult Literacy (NAAL) on the NCES website: A comprehensive measure of adult literacy among American adults age 16 and older.
- Fair Data Using the 2000 Census: Community-based Mapping and Data Solutions for Education, Environment, Housing, and Poverty-related Issues.
- The State of Literacy in America: Stephen Reeder estimates based on the 1990 census. This document presents synthesized estimates of the rates of
level 1 literacy by congressional district in the 50 states and District ofColumbia. The information is regional and estimates the lowest level literacy learners.
Click on image to return to VALRC. Click here to return to the front page.
This blog is made available by the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center (VALRC) for informational purposes only and to provide links to sites that lead to statistics and information about adult education and literacy. VALRC does not endorse or recommend any products, processes, or services mentioned in the linked websites and blog posts published on this site. The views and opinions authors expressed in the links on this blog do not necessarily state or reflect those of the VALRC or the Virginia Department of Education.