This link will lead you to 2003 estimates of low literacy in adults 16 years and older in counties and cities in Virginia. The information is more recent than the Stephen Reder Synthetic Estimates, which were based on the 1990 census.
About this SiteThis site contains adult literacy facts and information for Virginia's adult education and literacy programs, although many links are national in scope.
~Virginia Literacy Foundation
- Federal Initiatives: Professional Development Resources for Adult Education from the U.S. Department of Education
- Success in Teaching Reading the Mississippi Way – Emphasis on Phonics, Decoding, & Comprehension Leads to No. 1 Ranking
- From Adult Learning Spotlight: Powerful Learning, November 2019
- The National Report Card on Adult Financial Literacy
- No Matter What Obstacle is Thrown My Way
- Adult English Literacy in the United States – NCES Data Point
- Data Gems – Census Data
- Learner Variability Survey
- COABE Journal – Prison Literacy: The key that opens doors to opportunities
- Fact Sheet: Immigrant-Origin Adult without Postsecondary Credentials, Migration Policy Institute
- Workplace Readiness: Can It Lead to Better Employment and Earnings for Low-Income Adults?
- “More Unprepared Than We Thought: Adult educational attainment,” an SREB Fact Sheet
- 2017 KIDS COUNT Data Book: State Trends in Child Well-Being By the Annie E. Casey Foundation’s KIDS COUNT Project
- Incarceration to Reentry: Education & Training Pathways in Ohio
- Critiquing Adult Participation in Education (CAPE)
- 93,910 hits
- About Facts and Statistics Adult Learning Adult Literacy Annual Performance Report Career Pathways Child and Family College Career Readiness Standards Demographic Profiles Economic Development Employment Facts and Statistics for Adult Literacy Financial Literacy GED Graduation Rates Health Literacy Internet Statistics Job Skills Math Standards National Statistics Nonprofit management PIAAC Policy Paper reading instruction Research on adult education and literacy Technology in adult education Transitions U.S. Census Update Virginia Statistics Workforce Youth Statistics
- @PeggySpiak @monstar_01 This is actually a new statewide initiative where VA agencies are working together to estab… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 10 hours ago
- RT @vcwvalley: The Virginia Department of Health is recruiting for 1,300 contractors to serve as contact tracers throughout the state. Ple… 10 hours ago
- CASAS National Webinar: Update on Remote Testing When: June 11th at 2 pm ET For more information and to register:… twitter.com/i/web/status/1… 11 hours ago
- RT @AOTAshow: White educators—we see that many of you have (at last) realized anti-Black racism thrives in our schools and in your curricul… 12 hours ago
- RT @jfftweets: JFF CEO @MariaKFlynn invites you to join a powerful gathering of private, public, and nonprofit leaders and innovators to he… 1 day ago
This blog is made available by the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center (VALRC) for informational purposes only and to provide links to sites that lead to statistics and information about adult education and literacy. VALRC does not endorse or recommend any products, processes, or services mentioned in the linked websites and blog posts published on this site. The views and opinions authors expressed in the links on this blog do not necessarily state or reflect those of the VALRC or the Virginia Department of Education.
Banner ImageCourtesy Ken Teegardin, Numbers and Finance from flicker, taken March 19, 2011.